In industries where rotating equipment is at the forefront, the importance of components like dry gas seals cannot be overstated. Mechanical seals play a pivotal role in ensuring the efficient and reliable operation of vital equipment. As dry gas seal components experience wear and tear over time, refurbishment becomes essential to maintain peak performance and extend seal life. Here are the seven steps of John Crane’s dry gas seal refurbishment process:
- Goods In: Starting Right The process begins with a detailed upfront document review of the received dry gas seals. This involves checking for the "safe-to-handle" certificate, which guarantees the safety of the operator. Once this preliminary check is done, the refurbishment is logged into the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, ensuring a systematic approach from the onset.
- Strip & Inspection: The Expert Touch Expert John Crane refurbishment technicians disassemble the dry gas seals according to industry-leading standards. Findings are documented, and each component is cleaned and evaluated to assess its condition.
- Inspection Reports: Know Your Seal Once the dry gas seal is disassembled and inspected, a comprehensive inspection report is provided. This includes detailed images with descriptions of the condition of the dry gas seal. If you're looking to understand the root of a specific issue, a Root Cause Analysis (RCA) can be requested, although it may be subject to an additional charge.
- Refurbishment of Components: Breathing New Life In line with the inspection report findings, components are either reconditioned or replaced, ensuring the dry gas seal is returned to its optimal state. Consumable parts, due to their wear and tear nature, are replaced to ensure optimal performance.
- Seal Assembly: Precision at Its Best The assembly process is done with extreme precision. Each component is pieced together, following the original manufacturing process. John Crane's internal proprietary documentation and customized tooling ensure that the refurbished dry gas seal mirrors the quality of a brand-new one to ensure precision and reliability.
- Seal Testing: Ensuring Perfection Once assembled, the dry gas seal undergoes tailor-made testing. These tests encompass various key parameters such as flow rates, temperature, torque and more. A detailed report is then provided. Additionally, a remote witness test can be arranged, with the option for an in-person request, ensuring complete transparency in the process.
- Goods Out (Packing and Shipping): Ensuring Safe Transit The final step is crucial to maintain the dry gas seal's refurbishment integrity. Each dry gas seal is individually vacuum-wrapped, then foam-packed and placed in a John Crane transport case. Silica bags are added to maintain a dry environment, which is crucial for dry gas seal longevity. Additionally, auxiliary parts, installation kits and spares are included. All necessary paperwork, such as packing notes, is submitted in advance to keep you informed about the shipment.
The entire process, from start to finish, adheres to the highest safety standards, complying with ever-evolving emission regulations. This ensures not just a refurbished dry gas seal, but one aligned with modern safety and environmental standards.
John Crane's comprehensive approach to the dry gas seal refurbishment process underscores the importance of every step. It's not just about extending the life of the dry gas seal but ensuring its optimal operation in a safe and environment-friendly manner.